Admitted to the Paris Bar in February 2007
Lecturer at the University of Paris-Est (UPEC)
Nationality: French & British citizen
Languages: French, English
+33 1 44 38 72 34 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Carla Baker Chiss started her career in 2007 at Dentons (formerly Salans), in theInternational Arbitration and Litigation practice group, before participating in the creation of the Meyer Fabre Avocats law firm in 2009.
She is also presently part-time lecturer at the University of Paris-Est (since 2011) and teaches in various diplomas (LLM in International Business Disputes; Master of Laws in Common Law and Civil Legal Traditions; Masters of Laws in Business Law).
She previously held various teaching positions at the Universities of Paris I-PanthéonSorbonne (2001-2011), and Reading University (2003) and also gave professional training courses in Arbitration at the E.F.B (Paris Bar School).
Courses: civil procedure, private international law, arbitration, international business law, international litigation, recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and awards, law of immunities (sovereign and diplomatic immunities), Corporate Social Responsibility and compliance, French contract and tort law, Comparative law of contracts, European law, introduction to law and juris prudence, English Practice of Law.
Carla Baker Chiss’ practice is dedicated to international dispute resolution and alternative dispute resolution. She regularly represents States and companies and defends them in State courts or arbitral tribunals, both in pre-litigation negotiations and in litigation. She also appears in proceedings relating to enforcement of judgments and arbitral awards, and assists clients in securing interim measures. She acts as counsel and secretary to the arbitral tribunal in both ad hoc and institutional arbitration procedures (mainly ICC). Her recent activities cover in particular the advice and representation of foreign States in French judicial and administration litigation, specializing in sovereign and diplomatic immunities, procedural issues and private international law.
Carla Baker Chiss also practices employment law: she advises individuals in the settlement of their disputes and foreign companies in the development of their activities in France, and appears in court to defend foreign sovereign States in employment disputes.
• University of Paris I-Panthéon Sorbonne – 2008 – PhD ("’Enforcement of civil judgments in domestic and international relations’), directed by Professor Horatia Muir-Watt, thesis Paris I, 2008 – Very honorable distinction with unanimous congratulations from the jury; Dennery Award of the Chancery.
• University of Paris I-Panthéon Sorbonne – 2001 – DEA (post-graduate diploma)in English and North-American business law (magna cum laude)
• University of Reading – 2000 – LL.M. in European law (cum laude)
• University of Paris X-Nanterre – 1999 – Double Master’s degree in French andAnglo-American business law (magna cum laude)
· International Law Association (ILA/ADI) : deputy general secretary of the French Branch (since 2016)
· Comité Français de Droit International Privé (French Committee on Private International Law)
· Network "Trans-Europe-Experts" (http://www.transeuropexperts.eu/) (working group : international private law, civil justice, contract law, consumer and ecommerce law)
· Franco-British Lawyers Society
· European Research Group on Existing EC Private Law ("Acquis" Group)
• Encyclopedia JurisClasseur Droit international, Fasc. 584-180 : Reconnaissance des décisions étrangères : Compétence judiciaire, Reconnaissance et Exécution des décisions en matière civile et commerciale (Recognition and Enforcement of Judgments, Regulation (EU) No 1215/2012), to be published in 2018
• Encyclopedia JurisClasseur Droit international, Fasc. 584-155 : Contrats de travail: Compétence judiciaire, Reconnaissance et Exécution des décisions en matière civile et commerciale. - Compétence. - Règles de compétence protectrices des parties faibles. -Articles 20 à 23 du règlement (UE) n° 1215/2012 (Study of the special rules of jurisdiction over individual contracts of employment), Sept. 2014
• "La nouvelle loi écossaise sur l’arbitrage (Arbitration (Scotland) Act 2010)", with Nathalie Meyer Fabre, Rev. Arb. 2010.801
• Report No 10 : « Conflict of laws and of jurisdiction on Online Gaming” (co-author with L. Usunier), in M. Behar-Touchais, J. Rochfeld et A.de Guillenchmidt-Guignot, Les jeux en ligne en France et en Europe : Quelles réformes trois ans après l’ouverture du marché ?,SLC, coll. TEE, vol. 7, 2013.
• "Le droit de rétractation" (Right of withdrawal), in J. Rochfeld (dir.), "L’acquis communautaire. Le contrat électronique", Economica, coll. Etudes juridiques, 2010,p.133
• "Le titre exécutoire européen. Une avancée pour la libre circulation des decisions ?", JCP (G) 2003, I, 137
• "Les frontières de l’exécution et le droit international privé", Research group in private international law, University of Paris II-Panthéon Assas, 2009
• 5 June 2007 : Conference in English for the Spring Seminar of the Chair of theAmericas (University Paris 1) "The current European Union and its prospects", on the theme "The principles of free movement in Europe" (http://chairedesameriques.univparis1.fr/index.php?id=3&p2=3-2)